Sunday, September 15, 2013

A Tale Of Two Seats



Here is the tale of two reupholstery projects. A total DIY and a semi-DIY. Hard to tell the difference, but one of us has bloody hands, and the other...not so much. 
However, one project cost a fraction other....


I rescued a cute little gold chair from the corner of a dark dank consignment store for $25. Two years later I turned it loose in a yard sale. The chair never sold (probably because I refused to negotiate with shoppers. I was denying that I was actually in love with my ugly chair!)



A family owned reupholstery business did the hard part when it came time to reupholster. I've tried my hand at reupholstering. I'm too OCD to ever be pleased with my results.

I did want to give refinish the wooden legs and side of the chair though. So after the Hoyelton Upholstery shop stripped the chair's fabric, I went back for my it got down to work with spray on paint stripper.


I've never worked with stripper before, but this stuff was fantastic. I sprayed the orange foam on, went and ran some errands, by the time I got home (the can says more than 30 mins, no more than 24 hrs) it was ready for a good scrub down. The dark stain and poly just melted right off!


A few passes with some fine sandpaper and a few swipes of glaze, it was good to go. 3 weeks later, my pals at Hoyelton Upholstery called and said my baby was ready. 


Isn't she pretty?! She has a great personality and loves long walks on the beach. She even enjoys getting dressed up for special occasions.


Le sigh...I love. Even if it was only a semi-DIY project.


And just for the record...if I were a man, I'd be all about legs.


.:Tanya:.






Best find of a yard sale day right here! First buy of the morning $15, actually if I'm remembering correctly it was the only buy of the day.


I gave it a home in our living room. It quickly became the favorite sit down for both kids and the dog ( nope not all at the same time). After weeks of looking at it from across the room and contemplating spend the money or spend the time I decided I'd take a try at it. I like the challenge.


Here I started legs off and bottom uncovered. I made sure to take lots of pictures to refer back to.


Here I started legs off and bottom uncovered. I made sure to take lots of pictures to refer back to.


I stripped it down, carefully. Making sure that each piece I would be able to trace onto the new fabric.


So I traced. . .


No perfect. . exact lines, just Eh- looks close.


So the pulling and stapling began. And I would bet I put just as many staples in as what was in it before.


I reused most of the insides. . and what I couldn't reuse, I improvised. Above you will see a cut up cereal box. Hey- It worked. Don't judge. 


And this right here amazed me.


I had never made my own buttons before. Found this crafty little thing at walmart.




And then it Snaps!


Pretty button- there you have it.


Pretty tight I tell ya.

  
 Finished product. I love the finished product. Is it worth it to pay someone to do it : Absolutely. Would I do it again- Probably so.

 .:Liz:.






























No comments:

Post a Comment